Clinical Faculty are registered midwives who run active practices in British Columbia and devote significant time to training and mentoring midwifery students. The Midwifery Program can only fulfill its mandate with the dedicated participation of preceptors who prepare midwifery students for practice. Clinical Faculty enjoy many of the same benefits available to full-time academic Faculty, such as travel and buying discounts. The Faculty of Medicine’s website lists Clinical Faculty benefits under Services & Perks.
Midwifery Program Clinical Faculty can be found under the Department of Family Practice in the UBC Calendar. Clinical Instructors are listed in the calendar. Clinical Professors, Clinical Associate Professors and Clinical Assistant Professors are listed here.
All UBC Preceptors must have appointments as Clinical Faculty with the Faculty of Medicine to be fully covered by UBC insurance and receive a stipend for precepting. Only a few exceptions apply to non-midwife and interprofessional clinical placements.
Midwives interested in being UBC Clinical Preceptors must:
- Complete the Preceptor Application form
- Complete required Preceptor training
- Complete the Clinical Faculty Application Form (Please email Judy DeFreitas for the form and details)
The Preceptor Application form is submitted through our website via the button below. For any questions, please get in touch with Judy Defreitas.
Preceptor Training and Application
As part one of the preceptor training, you will need to complete all of the following programs and modules, for which you will receive a $250 honorarium:
- Complete the preceptor education program (PEP) modules at https://www.preceptor.ca/and provide the certificates of completion, labelled and PDF format, to Judy Defreitas. [9 modules 30-45 minutes each]
- Complete the UBC Bullying and Harassment module and provide the certificate of completion in PDF format to Judy Defreitas. [20 mins followed by a quiz]
- Attend our Midwifery Preceptor Workshop if you have not done so already. [6-8 hours (currently online)].
The Clinical Faculty Application (CFA) form button is linked below.
Clinical Faculty Information and Application
For part two of your application process which is the Clinical Faculty Application, you will need to contact Judy DeFreitas for the final forms for submission. You will be asked to prepare and complete the formal Clinical Faculty Application and Payment Instruction Form, provide an updated Curriculum Vitae, or resume, and will also fill out an (optional) Electronic Funds Transfer. The instructions and forms will be provided to you upon completion of the above preceptor application requirements.
Faculty of Medicine Clinical Faculty Representatives