Clinical Faculty are registered midwives who run active practices in British Columbia and devote significant time to training and mentoring midwifery students. The Midwifery Program can only fulfill its mandate with the dedicated participation of preceptors who prepare midwifery students for practice. Clinical Faculty enjoy many of the same benefits available to full-time academic Faculty, such as travel and buying discounts. The Faculty of Medicine’s website lists Clinical Faculty benefits under Services & Perks.
Midwifery Program Clinical Faculty can be found under the Department of Family Practice in the UBC Calendar. Clinical Instructors are listed in the calendar. Clinical Professors, Clinical Associate Professors and Clinical Assistant Professors are listed here.
All UBC Preceptors must have appointments as Clinical Faculty with the Faculty of Medicine to be fully covered by UBC insurance and receive a stipend for precepting. Only a few exceptions apply to non-midwife and interprofessional clinical placements.
Midwives interested in being UBC Clinical Preceptors must:
- Complete the Preceptor Application form
- Complete required Preceptor training
- Complete the Clinical Faculty Application Form
The Preceptor Application form is submitted through our website via the button below. For any questions, please get in touch with Judy Defreitas.
Preceptor Training and Application
As part of the preceptor training, you will need to complete all of the following programs and modules, for which you will receive a $250 honorarium:
- Complete the preceptor education program (PEP) modules at https://www.preceptor.ca/and provide the certificates of completion, labelled and PDF format, to Judy Defreitas. [9 modules 30-45 minutes each]
- Complete the UBC Bullying and Harassment module and provide the certificate of completion in PDF format to Judy Defreitas. [20 mins followed by a quiz]
- Attend our Midwifery Preceptor Workshop if you have not done so already. [6-8 hours (currently online)].
The Clinical Faculty Application (CFA) form button is linked below.
Clinical Faculty Information and Application
As part of the Clinical Faculty Application, you will need to include the following:
- Completed and signed Clinical Faculty Application and Payment Instruction Form ( both linked to the button above).
- Updated Curriculum Vitae or resume.
- Completed Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) form with one of the following options:
- A picture, or copy, of a physical voided cheque with the account name printed in the original production. Please note an electronic cheque will not suffice.
- A downloaded void cheque, bank letter, online direct deposit information sheet etc. from the bank’s online banking portal stamped by the financial institution.
*EFT is optional but the recommended payment method. If you do not submit one, you will receive cheques by mail.
Once the clinical faculty application and electronic transfer form are completed, email them along with your updated CV or resume Ara Silva.
If you have any questions about the CFA application and forms, please contact Ara Silva. Once your Clinical Faculty Appointments have been processed, you will be notified by the Clinical Faculty Coordinator.
Faculty of Medicine Clinical Faculty Representatives