Applicants to the Internationally Educated Midwives Bridging Program (IEMBP) should begin by reviewing the information in the UBC IEMBP Application Portfolio.
- To be selected for the IEMBP, you must be educated as a midwife, meet eligibility requirements, and be able to acquire everything you need to practice midwifery in Canada within the IEMBP. Midwives come from different backgrounds, so the IEMBP will accept different combinations of education and experience.
- You must speak, listen, read, and write very well in English to be eligible to participate in the IEMBP. Depending on your background, you can prove your fluency via an approved English language test or proof that you have met one of the criteria for exemption from English language testing.
The IEMBP Application Portfolio has two parts.
Part 1: Basic Application
All applicants must submit the following documents for Part 1 of their application:
- Finalized online version of your basic portfolio
- Proof of name change (if required)
- Proof of Language Fluency (if required)
Applicants will then complete Part 1 through either Option A or B:
Option A is for applicants who have recently finished their midwifery education and do not have 5+ years of experience as a practicing midwife. Required documents include:
- Official course by course evaluation report by World Education Services – Canada
- A2 Form or approved equivalent documentation
- Detailed program syllabus/course descriptions
Option B is for applicants who have extensive experience as a practicing midwife. These applicants can choose to apply through either Option A or B. Required documents include:
- B Form: Proof of Professional Conduct
- C1 Form: Verification of Midwifery Clinical Experience or approved equivalent documentation
Part 2: Expanded Portfolio
All applicants must submit the following documents for Part 2 of their application:
- Finalized online version of your expanded portfolio
- 3 passport sized photos
- Payment of Application fee for Part 2
- 2 D Forms: Professional Reference Form
Additional possible documents required for Part 2 may include:
- C1 Form: Verification of Midwifery Clinical Experience
- C2 Form: Applicant Declaration of Clinical Experience
- C3 Form: Description of Typical Clinical Practice
For a detailed breakdown of all required documentation and information about the IEMBP application process, please review the attached Information About IEMBP Required Evidence.