Internationally Educated Midwives Bridging Program
Welcome to the Internationally Educated Midwives Bridging Program (IEMBP) at UBC. The IEMBP is designed for midwives who have been educated in an approved Midwifery program outside of Canada. Only applicants who have prior Midwifery education are eligible for the IEMBP.
January 2017 Course
The IEMB Program is offered once a year beginning every January and is delivered in three parts. Each candidate must successfully pass each Part before being permitted to continue to the next. Exact start dates of each Part will be determined closer to the beginning of the intake.
- Pre-Requisite Course: Orientation to Canadian Health Care System, Culture and Context. All students are required to show proof of completion of this course by the completion of Part Two of the program.
- Part One: DISTANCE and ONLINE. Starts January 2017. Estimated timeline – 3 months
- A weekly 3 hour case based tutorial
- Can be completed anywhere in the world with high speed internet access and a computer.
- Part Two: Vancouver, BC. Estimated timline – 6 weeks
- 5 weeks of daily lectures, workshops, simulation and discussions
- 4 days Final examinations
- Part Three: Clinical Placement. Estimated timeline – 3 months
- 12 weeks
- Placed anywhere in British Columbia with a Registered Midwife preceptor
- The national Canadian Midwifery Regulators Examination may be taken by graduates of the program in the fall of 2017.
- See FAQs for costs associated with document verification processes.