This bursary provides funds to enable midwifery students to participate in the global initiative. Funds can be used for international and local travel, accommodation, food and personal supplies. Bursaries are allocated based on availability of funds annually and the strength and merit of the proposal and associated budget.
How to Apply
Please submit the following to the Midwifery Program Manager by February 1st of the placement year with the name of the Award in the subject line.
1. A letter detailing ALL of the following information (maximum of 1000 words):
- Your name, student number, UBC email address and home address
- Where will you be going
- What you hope to learn through this experience
- How you will contribute to the team in the global setting where you are placed
- Information regarding any additional work you plan to undertake while abroad (e.g., research)
- Any previous work or placements you have done with vulnerable populations
- How you expect the placement will be of benefit to you for future work in midwifery, or as a global citizen
- What your practice goals are for the future
2. A budget (in Canadian dollars) detailing the following information:
- Your expected expenses (use $25 CAN per day for accommodation and food expenses for the time you will be in your placement)
- The amount of money requested (up to $1500)*
Adjudication and Notification
Bursary applications are evaluated by a committee comprised of 2 faculty members and the Program Manager. All applicants will be notified regarding results of their application and possible award amount by February 28th.
Recipients will be required to write a short paragraph for the UBC Midwifery website describing their experience and the support the Global Placement Bursary provided.
*The amount of each individual award will be determined by the committee upon review